Home

Home

Sunday, May 15, 2011

Racism and travel

Traveling makes you more racist. It's just a simple fact. I'm not saying that after traveling you dislike a certain people group more than you did before you explored their homeland and experienced their culture firsthand (although it's a definite possibility); but I am saying that your belief in certain stereotypes goes from, "yeah how funny but wrong to say out loud," to "It's funny because it's entirely true."

Case in point: Asians are terrible drivers. I'm not saying this to piss off any asians out there. I have traveled through the general area by car, bus, motorcycle and tuk tuk, and I have to say- they are the most terrifying people behind the wheel of any automobile. One way roads? drive where you want, the other cars will see you and move. An inch of space? Just get out there and fight for it, it'll open up. The road is closed due to massive mudslides? Carve a new road with just your bus tires and some enthusiasm.

Another interesting fact about travel and racism- The Chinese don't like black people. I don't know why, I don't speak Mandarin or Cantonese so i can't ask them, but there is a high level of mistrust between the two groups. So imagine my surprise when I got to China and discovered that they have all the same food passions that Black Americans do. Fried chicken, watermelon, and grape flavored beverages, all things both people love. There are more KFC's in China than any other restaurant chain.

Another thing- in chinese food places in china, they do not give you fortune cookies. They also don't like cheese, but thats a whole other blog. Back to the fortunes...or lack thereof, in place of fortune cookies its best to look at t-shirts that have english phrases on them. My favorites included "if you're not believing in love then miracles are death," and "My friends are white and rainbow colors too."

Speaking of t-shirts in china-Couples in china like to dress the same. I saw a couple...they looked to be around 13, so they were probably in their mid 30s, wearing matching minnie mouse tshirts and white jeans.

thanks for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment