Home

Home

Thursday, December 30, 2010

Notes on Asian Culture

If I ever have children I'm not going to discourage them from staring at asians. In fact, I'm going to encourage them to do so. why? Simple. Asians stare so much that it is clearly their preffered way of looking at anyone, so return the favor and stare back. They'll love it! THey'll be thrilled I'm raising such culturally knowledgeable offspring. Asians love to stare. They stare probably more than I ever did as kid, and these are grown ass adults. It began on my way to China, My connecting flight was through toronto. I was one of 2 white people at the terminal. If their eyes projected laser beams there would be little of me left.
The staring grew more intense when I got to China, and as I traveled throughout Malaysia, thailand, laos and cambodia, the staring remained consistent, even though thailand has a huge tourist market and the few places where I went in Lao and cambodia were very common tourist destinations. So if you see an Asian, stare at them! It will make them feel at home. Other fun ways to cross the cultural divide are to make really offensive comments about their weight and physical appearance in general, or you can cut in front of them in a line.

Lines in Asia are probably the best/funnest thing about the area. If you ever see an Asian line, you will have a hard time discerning whether or not it is an actual line, or just a group of people standing around. The rules in an Asian line are simple, if you are standing near the front/entrance, you are part of the line. If you are standing next to someone in the line, you are part of the line. If you are standing next to some one, who is next to someone in the line, you are part of the line. Finally, if anyone leaves more than a millimeter of space between themselves and the person in front them, this means that they are not really interested in going through and if you want, you can cut in front of them. This is all very confusing and annoying for the tourist who has just arrived, but it becomes a very useful way of doing things if you're in a hurry, or if you're tired of standing in a line.

Asians are also fond of being hospitable. For example, if you buy something and unknowingly pay triple what its worth, the seller will have an attack of conscience and then give you some sugar cane to suck on. They also truly enjoy making sweet deals. Maybe its just me, and my air of worldly knowledge, but they always and without fail offer me specials deals and prices. "This shirt 2 dollar but i make special 10% off for you" is very special treatment I have grown accustomed to.

So now that you know some of the special, secret ins and outs of asian culture, pack your bags and get out there, you've got a global economy to stimulate!

No comments:

Post a Comment